Ongoing Forage Research Initiatives
Our goal is to have a program that will help to improve profitability of New York State forage/livestock operations,while at the same time minimizing any negative effects of forage crops on the environment. Grass forage crops as a potential bioenergy supply to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and maintain open spaces also is being studied.
Specific Projects include:
- Predicting forage quality of mixed alfalfa-grass stands in the spring.
- Methods to evaluate differences in yield and quality among grass cultivars.
- Evaluation of orchardgrass germplasms that are less competitive with alfalfa.
- Yield of mixed warm-season grass stands.
- Impact of commercial fertilization, organic manure, and irrigation on yield and quality of cool-season vs. warm-season grasses for biomass.
- Association mapping in switchgrass and reed canarygrass to identify molecular markers linked to biomass-related trait loci.
- Casler, M.D., J.H. Cherney, E.C. Brummer, and B.S. Dein. 2015. Designing selection criteria for use of reed canarygrass as a bioenergy feedstock. Crop Sci. 55 (in press).
- Ramstein, G.P., Lipka, A.E., Lu F., Costich, D.E., Cherney, J.H., Buckler, E.S., Casler, M.D. 2015. Genome-wide association analysis based on multiple imputation with low-depth GBS data: Application to biofuel traits in reed canarygrass. G3: Genes, Genomes, Genetics. (in press).
- Valentine, M.E., K.C. McRoberts, and D.J. Cherney. 2015. Foraging and body condition characterization of goats in Northwestern India. Indian Journal of Small Ruminants (in press).
- McRoberts, K. C. and D.J.R. Cherney. 2014. Low-infrastructure filter bag technique for neutral detergent fiber analysis of forages. Anim. Feed Sci. Tech. Anim. Feed. Sci. Technol. 187, 77-85.
- Lipka, A.E., Lu, F., Cherney, J.H., Buckler, E.S., Casler, M.D., and Costich, D.E. 2014. Accelerating the switchgrass (Panicum virgatum L.) breeding cycle using genomic selection approaches. PLoS ONE 9(11): e112227. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0112227.
- Stoof, C.R., Richards, B.K., Woodbury, P.B., Fabio, E.S., Alice Brumbach, A., Cherney, J.H., Das, S., Geohring, L., Hansen, J., Hornesky, J., Mayton, H., Mason, C., Ruestow, G., Smart, L.B., Volk, T.A., Steenhuis, T.S. 2014. Untapped potential: Opportunities and challenges for sustainable bioenergy production from marginal lands in New York and the Northeast USA. BioEnergy Research.
- Cox, W. J., and J.H. Cherney. 2014. Soybean seed treatments interact with locations for populations, yield, and partial returns. Agron. J. 106:2157-2162.
- Casler, M.D., D.J. Undersander, Y.A. Papadopolous, S. Bittman, D. Hunt, R.D. Mathison, D.H. Min, J.G. Robins, J.H. Cherney, S.N. Acharya, D.P. Belesky, S.R. Bowley, B.E. Coulman, R. Drapeau, S.N. Acharya, D.P Belesky, S.R. Bowley, B.e. Coulman, R. Drapeau, N.J. Ehlke, M.H. Hall, R.H. Leep, R. Michaud, J. Rowsell, G.E. Shewmaker, C.D. Teutsch, and W.K. Coblentz. 2014. Sparse-flowering orchardgrass represents an improvement in forage quality during reproductive growth. Crop Sci. 54:421-429.
- Mikhailova, E.A., D.J.R. Cherney, L.U. Snyder, S.M. Kelly, C.J. Post, J.L. Sharp, and S.K. Cox. 2013. Evaluation of nutritive value of Pueraria montana (kudzu) during the drought-prone growing season. Soil and Plant Analysis 44:1-11.
- Casler, M.D., Y.A. Papadopolous, S. Bittman, R.D. Mathison, D.H. Min, J.G. Robins, J.H. Cherney, S.N. Acharya, D.P. Belesky, S.R. Bowley, B.E. Coulman, R. Drapeau, N.J. Ehlke, M.H. Hall, R.H. Leep, R. Michaud, J. Rowsell, G.E. Shewmaker, C.D. Teutsch, and W.K. Coblentz. 2013. Sparse-flowering orchardgrass is stable across temperate North America. Crop Sci. 53:1870–1877.
- Parsons, D., J.H. Cherney, and P. Peterson. 2013. Estimation of nutritive value of spring alfalfa-grass mixtures using in-field measurements and growing degree data. Online doi:10.1094/FG-2012-0162-RS. Forage and Grazinglands.
- Lu, F., Lipka, R.E. Elshire, J. Glaubitz, J.H. Cherney, M. Casler, E. Buckler, and D.E. Costich. 2013. Switchgrass genomic diversity, ploidy and evolution: Novel insights from a network-based SNP discovery protocol. PLoS Genet 9(1): e1003215. doi:10.1371/journal.pgen.1003215.
- Markewich, H. A., Pell, A. N., Mbugua, D. M., Cherney, D. J.R., van Es, H. M., Lehmann, J. 2012. The effects of some external management factors on the nitrogen composition of cattle manure on smallholder farms. Int. J. of Agron. 2012 Article ID 437354, 11 pages doi:10.1155/2012/437354.
- Soberon, M. A., Cherney, J. H., Liu, R. H., Ross, D. A., Cherney, D. J. R. 2012. Free ferulic acid uptake in lactating cows. J. Dairy Sci. 95:6563-6570 DOI: 10.3168/jds.2011-5018.
- Soberon, M. A.; Liu, R. H.; Cherney, D. J R. 2012. Short communication: Antioxidant activity of calf milk replacers. J. Dairy Sci. 95: 2703-2706 DOI: 10.3168/jds. 2011-5099.
- Soberon, M. A., Cherney, D. J., Cherney, J. H. 2012. Free ferulic acid uptake in ram lambs. J. Anim. Sci. 90:1885-1891 DOI: 10.2527/jas2011-4356.
- Soberon, Melanie A., Debbie J.R. Cherney, and Richard C. Kiely. Predictors of performance in an animal nutrition classroom. 2012-2013 NACTA Officers, 2012: 6.
- Parsons, D., K. McRoberts, J.H. Cherney, D.J.R. Cherney, S. Bosworth, F. Jimenez-Serrano. 2012. Preharvest neutral detergent fiber concentration of temperate perennial grasses as influenced by stubble height. Crop Sci. 52:923-931.
- Cherney, J.H., D. Parsons, and D.J.R. Cherney. 2011. A method for forage yield and quality assessment of tall fescue cultivars in the spring. Crop Sci. 51:2878-2885.
- Parsons, D., Q.M. Ketterings, J.H. Cherney, R.W. Blake, L. Ramírez-Aviles, C.F. Nicholson. 2011. Effects of weed control and manure application on nutrient fluxes in the shifting cultivation milpa system of Yucatàn. Archives of Agronomy and Soil Science 57(3):273-292.
- Parsons, D, C.F. Nicholson, R.W. Blake, Q.M. Ketterings, L. Ramírez-Aviles, J.H. Cherney, and D.G. Fox. 2011. Application of a simulation model for assessing integration of smallholder shifting cultivation and sheep production in Yucatàn, Mexico. Agric. Systems 104:13-19.
- Parsons, D, C.F. Nicholson, R.W. Blake, Q.M. Ketterings, L. Ramírez-Aviles, D.G. Fox, L.O. Tedeschi, and J.H. Cherney. 2011. Development and evaluation of an integrated simulation model for assessing smallholder crop-livestock production in Yucatán, Mexico. Agric. Systems 104:1-12.
- Hall, M.H. and J.H. Cherney. 2010. Increased teff seeding rates in the Central and North Atlantic Regions of the United States increases forage yield. Online. Forage and Grazinglands doi:10.1094/FG-2010-0802-01-BR.
- Binder, E.M., D.J. Blodgett, J.F. Currin, D.L Caudell, J.H. Cherney, T LeRoith. 2010. Phalaris arundinacea (Reed canarygrass) grass staggers in beef cattle. J. Vet. Diagn. Invest. 22 (5):802-805.
- Cherney, J.H., Q.M. Ketterings, M.H. Davis, and D.J.R. Cherney. 2010. Split application of nitrogen vs. Dairy manure on temperate perennial grasses. Online. Forage and Grazinglands doi:10.1094/FG-2010-0215-01-RS.
- Cherney, J.H., Q.M. Ketterings, M.H. Davis, and D.J.R. Cherney. 2010. Timing of semi-solid dairy manure applications does not affect yield and quality of orchardgrass. Agron. J. 102:537-543.
- Casler, M.D., R.C. Johnson, R.E. Barker, M.M. Jenderek, Y.A. Papadopoulos, and J.H. Cherney. 2010. Feasibility of seed production from non-flowering orchardgrass. Crop Sci. 50:35-42.
- Markewich, H.A.; Pell, A.N.; Mbugua, D.M.; Cherney, D.J.R.; van Es, H.M.; Lehmann, J.; Robertson, J.B. 2010. Effects of storage methods on chemical composition of manure and manure decomposition in soil in small-scale Kenyan systems. Agriculture, ecosystems & environment. 139:134-141.
- Rothman, Jessica M., Chapman, Colin A., Hansen, Julie L., Cherney, Debbie D. J. R., Pell, Alice N. 2009. Rapid assessment of the nutritional value of foods eaten by mountain gorillas: Applying near-infrared reflectance spectroscopy to primatology. International journal of primatology 30:729-742.